Saturday, January 1, 2011

War of the Cheezes: Daiya vs. Teese

Ok, so I went about a year and a half being vegan without using any commercial cheese substitutes.  I was always curious about them, but had never tried them.  When I read about Daiya, I was intrigued and just had to try it.  I fell in love immediately.  It was the perfect thing to fill that cheese void I had been trying to fill since giving up dairy.  I have used it to make grilled cheeze, mac'n'cheeze, avocado melt sandwiches, quesadillas, and vegan nachos.  I tried (and thoroughly enjoyed) Tofurkey's pepperoni pizza with Daiya, as well as on a veggie pizza at a local pizza joint in Broadripple that has vegan toppings.  It melts, it stretches, it gets creamy, it's cheesy...everything I expect from cheese, without dairy.  Bonus - it's also soy-free! 

Ever since my discovery of Daiya bliss I have been itching to try some of the other cheese alternatives (although I had read that none of them were anything compared to Daiya).  SO, I recently decided to try them out, finally!

First up...Teese.  I don't know what it was about the shape of the Teese package, but it just made me want to try it!  It wasn't slices or shreds, but a squishy log, more like a package of sausage.  Anyway, it hooked me.






As soon as I cut into it, I was felt the need to try a bite...just to see what it tasted like.  At first it seemed creamy, but as it moved around in my mouth it seemed to fall apart, feeling a bit like wet powder or flour.  The taste was interesting, but I wasn't sure it was all that good.  A little plastic-ish?  I don' t know.  Anyway, I decided to go ahead and make a good ol' grilled cheese sandwich with it.  I buttered a couple pieces of sprouted grain bread, cut a couple thin slices and waited patiently for the skillet to do its magic.


It took a few minutes, and it didn't look it...but the Teese did heat up and melt.  I didn't realize that it had melted until I squeezed the sandwich and some yellow goodness oozed out.


I was hoping this grilled cheese would be as delicious as I anticipated, especially after getting excited by the ooze (I love a good, gooey grilled cheeze).  Here we go...


Unfortunately, I wasn't as impressed as I look in the picture.  The taste was bland, with a strange aftertaste that lingered on the back of my tongue.  I tried salting it, but that wasn't enough.  I ended up spreading a bit of vegan sour cream (which I bought for vegan nachos) and a squeeze of mustard on the sandwich to give it a bit better flavor.  I was highly disappointed...but, maybe that's not fair.  I have been spoiled by Daiya!

I am going to look at some of the recipes on the Teese website and see if this alternative is better for use in dishes rather than a stand-alone staple for sandwiches and quesadillas.  I won't get my hopes up too much, though.

Summary:  I don't think I'll try Teese again.  Like so many vegan choices, it's a bit pricey for the quality.  I think I'll stick with my tried and true Diaya...never a disappointment!

3 comments:

  1. Hey I was curious what the name of the pizza place in broadripple is. I'm highly allergic to dairy. Anything vegan is good for me. I was told papa johns crust is dairy free but I have no Idea about vegan, and they certainly do not carry vegan cheese. Thanks! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Za Pizzeria in Broadripple carries vegan pizza and Daiya cheeze, as well as other vegan toppings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hot Box pizza carries vegan red sauce and the traditional and thin crusts are also vegan!!! They have a huge selection of veggie toppings, including artichokes and broccoli.

    ReplyDelete