Friday, December 31, 2010

Go Max Go's Jokerz and Twilight Candy Bars

So here is my first real product review blog.  Today I am trying the Jokerz bar by Go Max Go.  A couple days ago I also tried their Twilight bar, so I will also share my opinion on that while I'm at it.  When I first found these bars on VeganEssentials.com, I was dying to try them.  I haven't had a candy bar in over 2 years, probably more than that since I really stopped eating candy bars well before I became vegan.  These looked so tempting, and when I found out they were carrying them at my favorite local specialty grocery store I had to check it out!

A couple nights ago, I tried out the Twilight bar, which is supposed to resemble a Milky Way.  I love chocolate, I love caramel, and I love nougat, so I couldn't wait to try this.  I have to confess, I couldn't even wait to get home before I tore open the package and bit in right there in my car.  The smooth chocolate and chewy center automatically sent me into a state of bliss, and the last bite was just as wonderful as the first.  It was creamy and chewy, just what I wanted.  It did remind me a bit of a Milky Way, but I'm not sure a non-vegan would be so convinced.  I thoroughly enjoyed this treat, and I didn't care a bit whether it tasted exactly like its ick-ridden counterpart.  In my opinion...delicious!



So, here I am...ready to try Go Max Go #2:  Jokerz bar.  This one is said to be a vegan-friendly version of a Snickers bar, with nougat, caramel, and peanuts covered in chocolate.  When I opened the package, I couldn't help but take a whiff...it certainly smelled heavenly.  The salty, peanuty aroma and the sweet chocolate were alluring.  On the first bite, I was once again taken in by the chewy texture of the nougat and caramel.  While the taste was good, it was the chewiness that kept me coming back, bite after bite.  I did enjoy the taste, but there was something about it that is holding me back from giving it anything better than 3 1/2 stars.  I can't quite say what it is.  Again, it does somewhat resemble a Snickers, but I don't think anyone who regularly enjoys a Snickers would be convinced to switch.


Summary:  I definitely preferred the Twilight to the Jokerz.  Both are good candy bars, and certainly worth a try.  That being said, if I really want to satisfy a sweet tooth or chocolate craving, I would be just as satisfied with a Luna bar (Caramel Nut Brownie, anyone?).  Plus, with about 100 fewer calories and far less fat and sugar per bar, I'd feel a whole lot better about my choice.  Another bonus...Lunas can be found as much as $1 per bar cheaper than these delectable chocolate treats!

No comments:

Post a Comment