Sunday, January 30, 2011

Luna Burgers - Classic Variety

A new addition to the Green B.E.A.N. product list:  Luna Burgers.  These burgers are handmade in Ohio, using all locally grown, Ohio produce.  The website even lists all of their growers and provides a link to each one (if applicable), which I think is awesome.  Luna Burgers come in 5 varieties:  The Classic, Garden Thyme, Farmhouse Chili, Gluten-Free BBQ, and Peanut Cilantro.  They also have a breakfast patty.  Each of the five flavors looked very unique, and I had a tough time deciding which to order.  But, I figured the classic version was as good a place to start as any.

Ingredients:  Spelt Berries, Black Beans, Oats, Onions, Carrots, Kale, Beets, Blueberries, Molasses, Garlic Apple Cider Vinegar, Salt, Rosemary, Pepper

The package comes with two burgers, and they are pretty good sized.  They are thick and firm.  The color is very unique; they have a purplish tint (due to the blueberries and/or the black beans, I imagine).

Looks like a burger, right?
I put this baby on a lightly oiled skillet and let the heat do its thing.  I made a lettuce bun and topped it with my classic burger faves:  tomato, sprouts, and onion, with a side of brown mustard.

I also made some yummy cajun spiced sweet potato chips!


Well, it certainly looked good, so I had high hopes.  Unfortunately, with the first, and then the second bite, I was disappointed.  There were a lot of flavors going on in this burger, and the ones that were the strongest were the ones I didn't care for much.  I don't know if it was the beets (which I've never been a big fan of), or something else, or the combination of all the different flavors...but I didn't like it.  I couldn't even finish the burger.

Summary:  I love the idea of these burgers:  healthy vegan patties, locally sourced ingredients, unique variety options.  The flavors just didn't sit well with me.  It might be someone else's cup of tea, but it definitely wasn't mine.  That being said, the other varieties do not contain beets (which may have been my turn-off), and I think I may try the Farmhouse Chili or the Peanut Cilantro.  And if that goes well and Green B.E.A.N. starts carrying it, I would be willing to try the breakfast patty as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment